Do you love winter in the mountains? Snowshoeing or skiing adventures? Helping others have a fun and safe time in the backcountry?
Join our Ski Patrol to oversee our backcountry, groom trails, and help others enjoy the system. Volunteers patrol at least one day a month during the winter season and spend one weekend day staffing MTTA’s office in Ashford.
What we do:
- Patrol the ski trails using two-way radios
- Perform trail maintenance (some patrollers have the chance to learn how to operate snowmobiles and groom trails)
- Serve as goodwill ambassadors to all trail users
- Oversee hut utilization and stay in the huts overnight
- Staff the MTTA office in Ashford on weekends during ski season
- Act as First Aid emergency response team in a wilderness setting
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be or become an MTTA member
- Have winter wilderness experience and gear
- Be able to ski or snowshoe miles of steep terrain
- Attend MTTA patrol training offered every summer
- Participate at a summer work party
- Have current First Aid/CPR and Avalanche Awareness training
Ski Patrol Resources:
Ski Patrol Requirements and Gear PDF
A link to the Ski Patrol Calendar is included in Ski Patrol News e-mails from our Ski Patrol Director, Marilyn Pyke.