8 Berth Maximum Capacity ($15/berth)
High Hut is perched on a ridge top at 4,760 feet, offering a spectacular 360° view of Mount Rainier, Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. This is a strenuous 4.5 mile hike on a sustained moderate to steep grade trail.
High Hut sleeps 8 people, and is perched on a ridge top at 4,760 feet, offering a spectacular 360° view of Mount Rainier, Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens. This is a strenuous 4.5 mile hike on a sustained moderate to steep grade trail.
With a magnificent view of Mount Rainier, the comfy interior makes a great getaway! A propane fireplace keeps the hut toasty. A gas range and oven is provided, and the kitchen is completely stocked with cookware and dishes to cover most of your epicureal needs.
Sleeping pads are provided in the small loft upstairs, and on the bunk bed in the main room.
Please read the High Hut Manual upon arrival, which explains how to turn on the solar powered lights, light the oven, etc. High Hut Manager Leyton Jump and the MTTA welcome you and hope you enjoy your stay!
Access/Parking/Facilities: See FAQ. Located in the South District, accessed via the DNR 1 Road off of Highway 706 in Ashford.
Starting elevation: 2,360′ at lower sno park
Hut elevation: 4,760′
Distance: About 4.0 miles
Difficulty: The trail to High Hut has 2,400 feet of elevation gain and is a moderate-to-steep sustained uphill walk. Most groups take 3 to 4 hours to reach the hut (one-way).
- Leave the hut cleaner than you found it. We do not have a cleaning service, and we rely on every party to keep it clean for the next party.
- Wipe up water puddles, to help maintain the flooring.
- Fill the snow buckets and the large water pots for the next party. If you keep filling the pots with snow you will always have water, and the next party will appreciate what you leave them!
- Sweep the floors and entrance carpet.
- Clean the kitchen, including the stovetop. Cleaning supplies are under the sink.
- Carry out all trash. Don’t throw food scraps or cooking grease outside. This brings rodents.
- Please report any signs of rodent activity to MTTA.
- This facility is provided to you with volunteer labor, so we really appreciate your efforts to care for it!
Thank you very much!
The MTTA volunteers